Since my brother introduced me to the Bulletproof Diet book by Dave Asprey, I wanted to learn more about the infamous bulletproof coffee. That led me to assemble all available information into this guide.
You’ll find the following while reading:
- What bulletproof coffee is
- Types of fat you can use for bulletproof coffee
- Recipe & instructions
- Potential benefits of this drink
- Potential risks
Let’s see whether this drink lives up to its claims.
- Bulletproof coffee is a coffee drink that mixes unsalted butter & MCT oil
- It’s possible to use vegan fat alternatives to the butter
- The drink supposedly improves mental clarity due to the way your body digests the coffee & fats
- May raise bad cholesterol due to the added fat & has more than 300 calories per cup
What Is Bulletproof Coffee?
Bulletproof coffee is a drink that combines black coffee, butter, and medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil. This high-fat, low-carb drink aims to boost energy and mental clarity.
The butter and MCT oil digests slower. And the coffee’s caffeine increases your body’s ability to burn fat for energy .
Once the caffeine burns the MCT oil, it’ll convert into ketones. Then the ketones enter your brain and help with mental clarity and energy.
Bulletproof coffee has gained popularity among keto dieters and biohackers. As it supports a low-carb, high-fat diet.
However, this drink has a lot of calories and might not be suitable for anyone who’s trying to limit calories for dietary reasons..
What Is Bulletproof Enzyme Coffee?
This variation of bulletproof coffee includes digestive enzymes to aid in breaking down fats and proteins. The enzymes help the caffeine break down fats much quicker.
To make this drink, add a scoop of enzyme powder to the original bulletproof coffee recipe. Then blend everything together until smooth and frothy.
However, I couldn’t find what types of enzymes people added. And most results I came across seemed like sketchy weight loss scams.
What Types of Fat Can You Use for Bulletproof Coffee?
For bulletproof coffee, the 1st part of the recipe includes any of these fats:
- Grass-fed unsalted butter or salted butter:
- Grass-fed butter has more omega-3 fatty acids & vitamin K2 
- Ghee (clarified butter):
- Better option for lactose-intolerant folks since manufacturers remove most of the butter’s milk solids
- Richer taste
- Higher concentrations of short- and medium-chain fatty acid
- Cacao butter:
- Vegan alternative to the above
- Plant-based fat extracted from cacao beans
- High in saturated fats like stearic acid
The 2nd part of the recipe includes:
- MCT oil (medium-chain triglyceride oil):
- Your body converts MCT into energy easier
- More expensive
- Coconut oil:
- Has a mild flavor
- Contains additional nutrients like lauric acid
A bulletproof coffee will use MCT/coconut oil + unsalted butter/ghee. Or cacao butter would serve as a vegan alternative than the butter/ghee.
Bulletproof Coffee Recipe & How to Make It
- 8–12 oz (236–354 ml) brewed hot coffee
- Aim for single-origin, high-quality beans if possible, they’ll provide a better-tasting drink
- 1–2 tablespoons (14–29 ml) of grass-fed unsalted butter or ghee
- Vegans could use 1–2 tablespoons of cacao butter as an alternative
- 1–2 tablespoons of MCT oil or coconut oil
- Brew your coffee using your preferred method
- Add the hot coffee, grass-fed unsalted butter (or ghee), and MCT oil (or coconut oil) to a blender
- Blend the ingredients for 20–30 seconds until the mixture becomes creamy and frothy.
- Pour the blended coffee into a cup and enjoy immediately
Be careful if you put hot coffee in a blender. If you do it wrong, it’ll spray scalding coffee all over you and your kitchen. It was a painful mistake I learned from.
To blend hot bulletproof coffee, use a vented lid and start at low speed. Fill the blender halfway and hold the lid with a towel. This minimizes the risk of your coffee overflowing.
Bulletproof Coffee Potential Health Benefits
You may experience these health benefits when drinking bulletproof coffee:
|Increased energy||MCT oil in bulletproof coffee converts to ketones, which provides energy|
|Improved mental clarity||The combination of caffeine & healthy fats may enhance cognitive function|
|Weight management||Fats in bulletproof coffee help suppress appetite|
|Stable energy levels||The presence of fats slows caffeine absorption, preventing energy crashes|
|Antioxidant properties||Coffee contains polyphenolic antioxidants, which help protect cells from damage |
Benefits of drinking bulletproof coffee.
Potential Health Risks of Bulletproof Coffee
Downsides of bulletproof coffee include:
- High calorie content (300+ calories): calorie-dense due to added fats, which could lead to weight gain
- Cholesterol concerns: saturated fats in butter & MCT oil may raise LDL (bad) cholesterol levels
- Nutrient deficiencies: replacing breakfast with bulletproof coffee may result in deficiencies
- Gastrointestinal issues: high-fat content in bulletproof coffee could cause stomach discomfort
Read on and you’ll find FAQs surrounding bulletproof coffee.
Why Is It Called Bulletproof Coffee?
Its creator, Dave Asprey, claims it provides sustained energy and mental clarity. And this may make you feel “bulletproof.”
What Are the Differences Between Regular Coffee & Bulletproof Coffee?
Bulletproof coffee combines regular coffee with added fats like grass-fed butter or ghee and MCT oil. This mixture provides increased energy compared to regular coffee, which contains no added fats.
Is Bulletproof Coffee Good for Keto?
Bulletproof coffee is suitable for keto diets because it contains high-fat, low-carb ingredients.
Is Bulletproof Coffee Gluten-Free?
Bulletproof coffee is gluten-free. As it contains coffee, grass-fed butter, cacao butter, or ghee, and MCT oil. All are free from gluten.
Is Bulletproof Coffee Good for Fasting?
Bulletproof coffee is not ideal for fasting because its calorie content breaks the fast. Some people use it during intermittent fasting to suppress hunger without a full meal.
Does Starbucks Have Bulletproof Coffee?
Starbucks does not offer Bulletproof coffee.
I didn’t notice any difference in mental clarity when drinking bulletproof coffee. And I had the same energy as when I drank most other coffee drinks. However, the way the drink affects someone will vary by individual.
When brewing the coffee for this drink, you will want a good machine. Explore different coffee maker types and find whether any will accommodate your lifestyle.